Additional Requirements

CPR/AED/Heimlich Maneuver

  • The State of Indiana requires a valid CPR/AED/Heimlich Maneuver certification for all initial license AND license renewal applications. Submit your completion documentation to the licensing advisors.
Licensing Advisors

Please contact a Division of Education licensing advisor if you need assistance.

  • Brooke Marsh
    Phone: 812.348.7248 | E-mail:
    Office: CC Room 155B

Additional Licensing

If you are a currently licensed educator, here is additional information that is important for you to know.

Adding to an Existing License

Add additional content area(s) to your existing license by successfully completing a PRAXIS II content test if one is available in the content area you wish to add. Currently, there are a few areas in which the state requires both content area coursework and a content licensure test.  Contact a Division of Education licensing advisor or review the Indiana Department of Education’s instructions for adding additional content.

License Renewal

A teaching license can be renewed no earlier than 60 days before the expiration of the current license. If you have taken at least three credit hours of coursework toward renewal at IUPUC, you can route your renewal application to IUPUC through the Licensing Verification Information System (LVIS). You must provide documentation showing you have completed an adult/child CPR/AED and Heimlich maneuver course when seeking renewal.

  • Courses should be related to education or your specialty area.
  • They must have been taken since you last renewed your license (or since you received your initial license if this is your first renewal).

College Credit

You must have at least six credit hours of undergraduate or graduate coursework in the past five years to renew your license. If you plan to use ONLY college credit to renew, contact the licensing advisor of the university where the credit was completed.

Professional Growth Points (PGPs)

PGPs are different from college credit but may be used in conjunction with, or in place of, college credit. Each hour you participate in a professional development activity equals one PGP. For a list of PGP options, see the Indiana Department of Education Office of Educator Licensing and Development’s Professional Growth Plan.

  • Individuals licensed under the Rules 2002 framework can renew their license with either six hours of college credit related to their licensed area and/or a professional growth plan.
  • If you are basing your renewal on a professional growth plan, which may include some college credit, you will work directly with your school principal, who will verify the plan. IUPUC cannot verify your renewal when it involves the use of both coursework and PGPs.

Contact, Address and Additional Links


4601 Central Avenue
Columbus, IN 47203

Phone: 812.348.7311

Donation Icon for IUPUC