Pass (P) or fail (F) option

During an undergraduate program, you may (in general) enroll in a maximum of eight (8) elective courses to be taken with a pass “P” or fail “F” grade. NOTE: Some divisions have a lower maximum. Always check with your academic advisor or the division offering the course. The pass/fail grading option may not be utilized when otherwise restricted by division regulations. Contact the Office of Registrar Services for the pass/fail grading option form and additional information.
  • If you are an undergraduate student, your instructor is not involved in selection of the pass/fail option and is not informed you are taking the course on a pass/fail basis.
  • If you are a graduate student, however, who wants to take a course on a pass/fail basis, your instructor must sign the pass/fail form as part of the approval process.
  • All instructors report traditional letter grades to the Office of Registrar Services which will convert any grades of D- or above to a grade of P.
  • A P grade does not affect your GPA; like any other grade, however, an F will count against your GPA.
  • Courses taken on a pass/fail basis do count toward full-time or part-time standing for purposes of financial aid or loan deferments.
  • Signed forms must submitted to Office of Registrar Services by the date specified in the academic calendar.
  • Once invoked, you may not change back to another grading option for the course.

Contact, Address and Additional Links


4601 Central Avenue
Columbus, IN 47203

Phone: 812.348.7311

Donation Icon for IUPUC